Send Your Own Parcel
Sending books is a great way to directly empower children through education. This easy and rewarding task will take less than 30 minutes and will have a profound and lasting effect in a community of your choice.
Follow our simple guide and you’ll be posting books in no time at all!
All books should be in good condition (not torn, falling apart or drawn in).
Please do not include any books of a religious, erotic or magical nature due to cultural differences.
1) Find some good books that you think will be appropriate for the school or charity of your choice. Books to include are educational and fictional resources for children aged 1 – 18 years.
2) WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
– A Marker Pen
– 1 Sheet A4 Paper
– A Sturdy Box (twice the size of a shoebox)
– Parcel Tape
– Set of Scales
3) Once you have carefully selected your books, weigh them and pack tightly in the box. The combined weight including packaging should be less than 5kg for cheaper postage from UK. Other countries & postal services may differ.
4) Cut down box to fit tightly around books and remove any excess cardboard.
CHILDREN SHOULD ASK FOR AN ADULT’S HELP WITH THIS TASK
5) Be sure to include a personal message in the box to say that you have come through Book-Cycle
6) Parcel tape the box up carefully. Tape down the address of your chosen school or charity along with the ‘Humanitarian Aid’ message for parcel handlers. A list of our partner organisations can be found here
All parcels MUST be marked with the following message for package handlers:
HUMANITARIAN AID FROM UK. NO COMMERCIAL VALUE NOT FOR RESALE.
ELIGIBLE FOR NON-STATISTICAL PROCEDURE.
7) Take to your local Post Office and send via surface mail. 5kg costs around £40 to Sub-Saharan Africa & Asia from the UK. Prices do vary. Make sure the postal service knows it contains PRINTED MATERIALS as this usually confers a cheaper rate.
YOU have now done something that has far reaching positive consequences. TELL OTHERS HOW EASY IT IS…
Invite a local group or school to do the same and help spread the love of reading around the world! 😀