Help at a Bookshop
A wonderful way to spend your time is helping out at a Book-Cycle shop near you. A few hours a week is all it takes to make a world of difference to people in your community and overseas….
As Book-Cycle has grown organically, we now have a variety of activities to explore in the shops. After a few introductory shifts, new volunteers are asked pick the most suitable day for them to volunteer each week.
The ‘Superheroes’ below are multi-person roles because of the scale of tasks involved.
‘The Shuffler: The Juggler of Books’
A skilled book sorter with a keen eye for tasty literature.
- Sorting book donations at the shop & warehouse
- Selecting relevant books to send to our partner charities
- Alphabetising / genre sorting the shop shelves
- ‘Shelf-Cycle’ maintaining shelves & finding new locations
- Sorting books for events & stalls
- Finding books – schools and charity shop collections
‘Captain O’ the Brig: At the Helm of Book-Cycle’s Ship’
A key character as the shop being open and running smoothly is essential to most of our projects, whilst providing the public with information about our activities.
- Customer relations & answering enquiries
- Searching for and taking customer book requests
- Helping sort book donations as they arrive
- Updating leaflet, poster & information displays at the shop
- Keeping the bookshop clean and tidy
‘Art Attack: The Creative Driving Force’
- Guerilla Advertising – Chalking messages around town
- Making Book-Cycle outlets beautiful and full of character
- Inventing wonderful art installations in all Book-Cycle areas
- Collating Book-Cycle photos & images for advertising
- Promotion; posters / flyers / bookmarks / clothing
‘Oaky Doky: Chief in-charge of all things Green’
- Researching & obtaining land, lots of land under starry skies
- Finding saplings & suitable locations to replant them
- Establishment of Permaculture & tree nurseries (POGOE)
- Growing useful plants: harvesting & preserving methods
- Seed banks well stocked & varied; useful seed saving info
- Promoting organic growing / workshops & walks
- Access to green info on B-C website & leaflets in shop
- Researching greener transport solutions for book postage
‘Constructo – The Builder of Wonders’
- Locating useful tools / materials / DIY info
- Making wooden donations boxes for ‘mini Book-Cycles’
- Ensuring that vehicles are well maintained
- Making and maintaining ‘Silly-Cycles’ / bike trailers
- Construction both innovative and practical at shops